We’re actually more than halfway through this “homeschooling” journey we’ve been in with our family the last 8+ years. Our son has graduated high school and has grown into an amazing young adult. He’s going the non-traditional route and has decided to jump right into the real world of business and marketing to learn the ropes instead of going the college route to learn potentially the same thing (that’s another blog post) and get into serious amounts of debt to get started in the real world in 4 more years.
So, he’s still living at home as a young almost 19 year old and there are some obvious growing pains and challenges with transitioning into this new entry stage of adulthood and still living at home with your parents.
He’s a great kid but he’s stretching his wings in areas and we’re learning to do our best to try and trust him more that perhaps we’re comfortable and trust ourselves in the ways we’ve raised him and what we believe we’ve instilled in him. I watched the video below and it was an encouragement to me because I believe I would have a similar conversation with my son.
What do you think? Are you raising kids under “control” or are you raising kids into an autonomous life in more agreement with you than you may realize and less resistance than you may have expected?
As is frequently felt in my own skin, society continues to push and pressure this concept of no rules, absolute freedom. Do anything you want. Make yourself happy. Who cares if it upsets or bothers anyone else. But that’s not the way it should be should it? I’d love to hear your comments below and have a conversation about these issues.
- Tips and Resources for Being the Best Parent You Can Be - November 6, 2020
- Do We Need to Change the Rules? - November 27, 2018
- Book Review: Your Money, Your Marriage by Cherie & Brian Lowe - September 25, 2018
- Students Write About Digital Marketing and Win $1000 Scholarship - January 10, 2018
- Are We Pushing Our Kids Too Much - April 30, 2017
- Are You a Doctor? Didn’t Sleep in a Holiday Inn Last Night? - April 27, 2017
- A Brilliant Cross-Over From Real Life Fitness to Video Game Play - December 9, 2016
- How’s Your Husband Doing? - July 7, 2016
- Homeschooler Ryan Beard Performs on America’s Got Talent - June 29, 2016
- World War II Deaths Video Visualization - December 23, 2015