Planning to hit the road for the entire summer? You’ll need the right vehicle to travel in style.
There are many times where I’ve dreamed of a life out on the road, combining living and working and exploring all into one big ball of fun. I’m not so sure my family would agree with my desire to live the life of a traveling nomad though. Tha’s not exactly their idea of the kind of family travel they would enjoy as much as our normal vacations.
I’d imagine actually buying a recreational vehicle would be fun, but you have to have some knowledge about RVs before making a purchase. The Recreational Vehicle Industry Association considers an RV to be a motorized or towable vehicle that has transportation and temporary living quarters for camping, recreation, and travel.
Determining Which Types of Recreational Vehicle You Need
Before you can purchase a recreational vehicle, you have to determine which type youâ€™ll need. What will it be used for? How often will you use it? How many people will be traveling in it? What will you be taking along with you? This will help you determine the size, amenities, and flexibility that you need in an RV. Some RVs come with all the amenities of a hotel, while others simply provide glorified camping amenities. What you’ll be using the RV for will determine how much you’ll need to spend and whether or not you’ll also need to purchase a pickup truck.
5 Things to Know About Recreational Vehicles
- Visit a specialty dealer (an RV dealer) rather than a car dealer; car dealers don’t typically sell RVs and even if they do, they won’t be knowledgeable enough to help you make a good decision. RVs can be purchased either new or used.
- Motorhomes are motorized recreational vehicles that offers both transportation and living quarters. Various sizes and styles are available, from van-sized campers to luxury RVs. A variety of amenities can be included in a motorhome.
- Towable recreation vehicles are travel trailers, truck campers, and sport utility recreational vehicles. As with motorhomes, there are various sizes and styles of towable recreational vehicles.
- Motorized recreational vehicles are more expensive than towable vehicles. However, the perk of a motorhome is that you don’t need a separate vehicle to get it around.
- Towable vehicles typically require a pickup truck, which is a major consideration if you don’t already own a truck.
Looking for more information about recreational vehicles? Find more here.
- Tips and Resources for Being the Best Parent You Can Be - November 6, 2020
- Do We Need to Change the Rules? - November 27, 2018
- Book Review: Your Money, Your Marriage by Cherie & Brian Lowe - September 25, 2018
- Students Write About Digital Marketing and Win $1000 Scholarship - January 10, 2018
- Are We Pushing Our Kids Too Much - April 30, 2017
- Are You a Doctor? Didn’t Sleep in a Holiday Inn Last Night? - April 27, 2017
- A Brilliant Cross-Over From Real Life Fitness to Video Game Play - December 9, 2016
- How’s Your Husband Doing? - July 7, 2016
- Homeschooler Ryan Beard Performs on America’s Got Talent - June 29, 2016
- World War II Deaths Video Visualization - December 23, 2015